2019 Renewal Instructions for New Mexico Board of Examiners for Architects
For a successful renewal, please review all of these instructions. Renewal forms are not on the Board's website. The forms will be mailed to registrants beginning in mid-November.
1. At this time online renewals, debit card or credit card payments will not be accepted. Please pay with a check or money order made out to: NM BOARD OF EXAMINERS FOR ARCHITECTS or NMBEA. Please make sure the check is dated and signed. If not it will be returned.
2. The renewal form should be completed and signed by the registrant.
3. To begin, collect all documents needed to submit a complete and successful renewal:
- A "yes" or affirmative answer to any of the disciplinary questions must be accompanied with written documentation regarding lawsuits/cases/complaints, or pending action against you, the registrant, including those filed in New Mexico, disciplinary action, admission of guilt, etc.;
- Certifying completion of the continuing education requirement on the Renewal form means: You have completed 12 credit hours in Health, Safety and Welfare (HSW) completed from January 1, 2019, through the date you mailed your Renewal form to the Board. Continuing education hours cannot be carried over from 2018, nor can they carry over to a future renewal. Failure to follow the 12 credit hours calendar year requirement may result in disciplinary action;
- You are required to have certificates of completion or other substantiation, such as receipts or AIA transcripts, showing completion of the Continuing Education requirement before you renew your license. However, do not send in this material with your renewal. Maintain it in case your Continuing Education certification is audited;
- Please review NMAC Part 3 of the Rules at 18.104.22.168 B. (1) through (11) for guidance on appropriate subject matter and parameters for continuing education. This part of the Rule will also be posted on the Board's website under the "ACT/RULES." Please read it thoroughly before calling the Board's office as the Board staff is not allowed to pre-approve continuing education. The list of activities in section (4) "shall be used by all registrants in determining the types of activities that would fulfill continuing education requirements."
- A registrant whose initial license was issued less than twelve (12) months prior to the December 31st renewal deadline shall not be required to report continuing education hours;
4. Fill out the form, sign it, and include the check or money order described above. Please make your check payable to the NM BOARD OF EXAMINERS FOR ARCHITECTS or NMBEA.
5. Before December 31, 2019, mail your renewal form and fee to:
NM Board of Examiners for Architects
P.O. Box 509
Santa Fe, NM 87504
6. Mailing the renewal/check the day of the deadline may NOT result in a postmark of December 31, 2019, and a late fee will be assessed. All renewal statements with a postmark of January 1, 2020, through January 31, 2020, will be delayed while the Board collects a $50 late fee if it is not included. If you are mailing your renewal after December 31, 2019 and before January 31, 2020, please include the $50 late fee with your renewal.
7. If you are in Santa Fe, you may choose to walk in with your renewal form completed and signed, along with payment. The Board's office is located at:
The Toney Anaya Building 2550 Cerrillos Road - 3rd Floor Santa Fe, NM 87505
The Board's office hours are 8 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
8. Please note: The Board's office will close at noon on Tuesday, December 24, 2019. The office will also be closed on Wednesday, December 25, 2019 and Wednesday, January 1, 2020. Hand-delivered items found at the Board’s office the next business day will be marked as having been received the day the offices were open and could result in late fees being assessed.
9. Express mail delivery must be made to the Board's physical address (above), but please be aware that no deliveries can be accepted on state government holidays, Saturdays or Sundays. Using an express mail delivery method to avoid late fees around December 31/January 1 is usually unsuccessful and delays the completion of the renewal.
10. Renewal forms that are incomplete will be returned to the registrant. Your license will not be renewed unless a complete renewal form and correct payment amount have been received by the Board. The check or money order should be made out to: New Mexico Board of Examiners for Architects or NMBEA. Please date and sign the check. There are no refunds.